Bloomington Wisconsin

Tourism in Grant County Wisconsin

Bloomington, Wisconsin

Travelers on Highway 35 pass through the small town of Bloomington, Wisconsin, population 735 (2010 census). The bluffs and river valley create a scenic drive every season of the year. Bicyclists are challenged on the hills and snowmobilers enjoy the winter trails.

Settled in the early 1800s, this village was originally called “Blake’s Prairie”. A flour mill and mill house, erected by D. W. Taft, were completed in 1853. The old Taft’s Mill, constructed of native limestone, still stands today and currently houses a pottery shop. The town had several name changes, but was officially named Bloomington in 1867 after the agricultural “blooming” that occurred in the area after a local blacksmith patented a device for sowing oats. The history of the town is evident in the limestone and brick construction of many of the original buildings along main street.

Agriculture remains the principal economic base, as evidenced by the types of businesses serving area residents, including a butcher shop, equipment dealer, vet clinic, livestock sale barn, hardware store, lumber yard and building center. The Blakes Prairie Junior Fair, held in July each year, highlights the projects of area 4-H and FFA youth. The Bloomington Sportsman’s Club has an excellent shooting range and offers gun safety training programs. Be sure to stop at Ma’s Bakery for their delicious café meals and baked goods. Many other small businesses provide basic services for the people in this quiet neighbor-helping-neighbor community.

A recently constructed Veterans Memorial in the community park honors the many local men and women who have served the country. Residents and families actively participate in church activities and community events. Students in Bloomington attend the
River Ridge School District.

Some Bloomington businesses:

Places to Eat in Bloomington

Clear